Sunday, August 9, 2009

Anyone know for sure what happens to unread messages to someone else when you delete your account?

I've heard they go away completely with no sign of anything in their inbox, but also heard that the message is gone but your user name is still there, just not clickable obviously. Is it one of those or is it something else?
Anyone know for sure what happens to unread messages to someone else when you delete your account?
the message will be readable n will have ur display name but as far as ur picture it will say deleted n they obvisouly cant reply lol
Reply:No, not true. They remain in the mailbox and readable - most mail types (POP3, etc) download a copy of the message to the reader's server. What you do with the copy on your server does not effect the other side.





The only exception is if you are both on the same IMAP server and domain - IMAP messages are kept on the server, not downloaded; I'm not sure, but those might be deleted. Again, I am not sure about the IMAP messages.





EDIT - Just noticed this was a MySpace issue - my answer was for e-mail. The question showed up on my home page. Sorry, but there it is if you have the same question about e-mail. No need to flame or thumbs-down me - I realize the error.

No comments:

Post a Comment